After some modification to how my tour results are calculated, I am currently in the lead! The system I am using is:
1 – if I complete my mileage, I get the same time as the 10th place finisher.
2 – for every additional mile I ride, I get a 30 second time bonus.
After five stages… the top ten are:
1. Chris Doelle (USA/T@I) 13h 39m 46s
2. Lance Armstrong (USA/DIS) 5m 26s back
3. George Hincapie (USA/DIS) 6m 21s back
4. Jens Voigt (GER/CSC) 6m 30s back
5. Bobby Julich (USA/CSC) 6m 33s back
Things are still in my favor while the flat stages reign. That keeps the peloton together and allows me to gain time on the group. Once the mountain stages hit, the gaps will be much larger and I will have to put in a ton of miles just to stay even.