This struck home hard this week as I was tweaking the RSS feed for my podcast here on RWTWD. I found something was not working so played around until I fixed it and now it is up and running smooth again on iTunes and other places.
I noticed however, that a stretch of shows I record from October of 2008 through March of 2009 were no longer available. I dug in and found out that this was during a brief time when I was using a service called Utterli in conjunction with my Blackberry. It allowed me to take a short video and record audio that was posted automatically to my feed and went out as a regular show.
Apparently, Utterli is utterly gone… kinda like Blackberry. With that death came the end of those files… lost forever. It was only eight shows, but it is still a loss.
Every other show I have created has been stored on Libsyn and backed up regularly by me. (Yes, I did find a couple of instances where the file on Libsyn was missing or corrupt so that backups really helped.)
Pay attention to where you post your content. I made the short-lived move to Utterli because I investigate new things and it seemed a tad easier. I went back to my tried and true method six months later, but it was an expensive experiment – in terms of posterity.
by Chris Doelle