Updates on my attempt at minimalist living
We are on day twelve of the 30 day Minimalism Game and where do I stand?
Date – today’s reduction (total)
- January 1st – 15 (15)
- January 2nd – 0 (15)
- January 3rd – 5 (20)
- 4th – 12 (32)
- 5th – threw away 4 old media guides, finished burning 1 old jar candle and tossed – 5 total (37)
- 6th – donated books to the library – 5 total (42)
- 7th – was at a basketball game and Chick-Fil-A parachuted cows from the rafters. I nabbed two of them. Gave one away to a kid at the game. 1 total (43)
- 8th – gave away the other parachuting Chick-Fil-A cow to Mike’s boy 1 total (44)
- 9th – traveling and in client meetings all day 0 total (44)
- 10th – tossed out several old boxes I had been saving for some unknown reason 5 total (49)
- 11th – gift box containing 7 items came in the mail. I gave away all 7 items 7 total (56)
- 12th – still to come
Goal: 66 things
Status: 56 things
I am finding that while it was easy to give a bunch of stuff away early on, it has become increasingly difficult. The problem isn’t a lack of desire, but a lack of time to dig through and find things. I know I can probably find 100 things to get rid of, but the idea of digging through things just never makes it to the top of my to-do list.
I could use some feedback. What could you get rid of? What could you sell?
Need help getting rid of stuff yourself? Here a few helpful links:
- Amazon – if it is new or in good shape, you can resell many things here
- Ebay – ditto
- Craigslist – you can sell pretty much anything here (be warned, not policed very well for bizarre/inappropriate stuff
- Freecycle – Great place to give away things that still have value. I used to freecycle quite a bit back when I lived in Houston but it is available all over the world.
by Chris Doelle